circuit breaker will not reset when no circuit is in it

Old 05-27-24, 04:12 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question circuit breaker will not reset when no circuit is in it

have a main panel with a 15 amp breaker there is no circuit on it but it will not reset \ could it be just a bad breaker \ and had arc fault breaker had the light switch turn off but when i touch the neutral to tne ground it trip the breraker \ why would it trip the breaker if no power is to the lights it could have been a gfi breaker but the light switch turn off and no power to lights

Old 05-27-24, 05:00 PM
B
Received 314 Upvotes on 277 Posts
How are you determining it doesn't reset? If checked with good voltmeter, replace breaker.

Old 05-27-24, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,111 Upvotes on 3,692 Posts
Are we discussing a regular 15A breaker or an arc fault breaker or GFI breaker ?

You cannot remove/attach a neutral wire on an electronic breaker.

raiders004 voted this post useful.
Old 05-27-24, 07:57 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sorry should have explain better \ the 15 amp breaker was a regular 15 amp breaker try to reset it would not reset there is nothing hook up to it all other circuits do not trip just that one i try to reset\ on the other one where i have the light switch turn off i was change a light fixture and the ground and neutral touch and trip the breaker it was either one gfi or arc fault i guess if i have no power to the light because the switch is off why would trip the breaker at the panel change light reset the breaker works fine

Old 05-27-24, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,111 Upvotes on 3,692 Posts
Touching neutral to ground could cause an electronic breaker to trip

You're probably still confused.
When you have a GFI breaker it monitors for an imbalance between hot and neutral. Whatever current is drawn thru the black wire must be returned on the neutral. That means the white and black wires are balanced and the GFI is happy. If you touch the neutral to ground...... the load is not being carried entirely by the neutral. Part of the load is now being carried thru the ground. That imbalance is what causes the trip.

Same with the black/hot wire. If something creates a short from hot to ground..... perhaps a water leak.... that current is not being carried thru the neutral and causes an imbalance and a trip.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: