Running Electrical to Aluminum Pergola

Old 06-09-24, 01:33 PM
T
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Running Electrical to Aluminum Pergola

Sort of a continuation of this thread...
Adding additional outside outlet

I'll be able to add pics if needed next week.

Need input on the best way to run my 120v into my soon to be built pergola. The line will come up in the middle of one of the pergola posts. Currently there is about a 2' stub up of conduit (connects to the referenced thread above). I'd like to run it to a switch (for a fan). From the switch I was hoping I'm allowed to change to UV resistant direct burial wire (even though it will not be buried). From the switch I'd run the DB wire up the inside of the post and to the fan via the "beams". Is this allowed?

(Many more questions to come after I get the plot line established).

Old 06-09-24, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
As long as the UF is not subject to physical damage I would say it is OK to use. YOu will also need to use a fitting made for connecting UF to the box that will be water tight. The big box stores have them and they have a rubber part that seals around the cable.

Old 06-09-24, 07:58 PM
T
Excellent, so long as that is allowed I've been looking for a pvc box I can use. Wish I had pics which would show my dilemma so I will try and explain...

I'm hoping to mount the box inside the hollow aluminum post (7"x7") so the front sits flush with the surface . I obviously don't have access to the inside of the post. Do they make waterproof boxes that you can install after making a cutout for them? Something similar to an "old work" electrical box. I haven't been able to find them via my searches. The switch I'm hoping to use is this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5601-.../dp/B0C4FY5DTG

Old 06-10-24, 05:21 AM
Received 397 Upvotes on 346 Posts
This Arlington DBVR1C recessed weatherproof box looks like what you are asking for.

Old 06-10-24, 11:42 AM
T
I did come across those, thanks. For aesthetic reasons I'm hoping to find something a bit smaller. Those are rather large as the box must enclose the entire faceplate of the switch plus a flange. The switch I listed is waterproof, I just need he back box to be waterproof (pvc) and mountable in a small cut hole.

Old 06-10-24, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,099 Upvotes on 3,682 Posts
What size is the post ?

A box is a box. It must be a certain minimum size.
The wiring needs to be connected with waterproof connectors.
You could cut a regular plastic surface mount box in the post.

You must consider how you will slide a box into a cut hole and connect the wiring.

Old 06-10-24, 02:16 PM
T
Inside dimension of the post (hollow) is about 6.75" X 6.75". UF will enter and exit the box so I will have excess to play with. If you reference the switch I listed it is waterproof in that it needs no cover. However the back of the switch where the wire connects are plain screws.

You could cut a regular plastic surface mount box in the post.
Since this will be inside the post are you saying I could use just an old work pvc box? The post will be sealed against water, however condensation might be a factor?

Old 06-10-24, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
I would think an old work box with a weatherproof switch plate would be fine. Condensation should not be an issue as long as any water that can get in can also get out.

Old 06-11-24, 06:32 AM
Received 397 Upvotes on 346 Posts
I have a metal framed heated greenhouse. The horizontal metal channels at the bottom of the structure are considered suitable as a raceway for wiring. The faceplates of the channel snap on and can be removed. I have cut outlet openings int the faceplate and installed standard outlets with gasketed coverplates that have worked fine for over 20 years. They are GFI protected and high humidity and occasional interior "rain" from condensation has not caused any tripping.

I think you could cut a box size hole (smaller than the cover plate) in the post and install your outlet there as if it was in a box. You could encapsulate the screw connections with non-conductive caulk, hot glue or electrical tape to "weatherproof" them against any condensation that might form inside the post. (I did not.)

Electric outlet in greenhouse with gasketed cover plate and removable inserts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: