Wire Connection

Old 07-17-01, 09:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Ok lets see if i can explain this correctly

I just install a ceiling fan / I installed electrical ceiling box/ brace/ 12/3 electrical wiring /

I ran the wire to a exsisting wall switch

One set of wires = Power source (Black / White/Green/Red)
One Set of wires = Outside Light(Black/White/Green)
One Set of Wires = Wall Plug(Black/White/Green)
One Set Of Wires = New 12/3 Wire /Fan to Switch Box

So now I have 4 sets of black - 4 sets of white
1 set = power source.

How do i connect all of this.

I understand that the the four white wires are tied together in one nut
Should The black wire (Power Source) have three pigtails ?
Does each pig tail connect to each switch leaving one nut open?
and if it does where do i connect the additional 3 black wires that are not connected

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-01, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can't tell the following from your post

"One set of wires = Power source (Black / White/Green/Red)
One Set of wires = Outside Light(Black/White/Green)
One Set of Wires = Wall Plug(Black/White/Green)
One Set Of Wires = New 12/3 Wire /Fan to Switch Box "

Are these in the box on the ceiling?
Do you have only one switch controlling this fixture (i.e., no 3-way switches in the circuit)?
Do you want one switch to control both the fan and light at the same time, or one switch in the same box for each.

Post back with info.

Old 07-18-01, 08:31 AM
Your assertion that the power is coming from a cable with black, red, white and green is illogical. Please reconsider.

Old 07-18-01, 06:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Wire Crazy

I apologized for my ignorance

There are 3 sets of 12/2 orginal wires tied into the wallbox connected to two switches on the wall

The First switch controls the outside light
The Second switch controls a wall outlet

I just ran an additionl set of 12/3 wire to the wall box from the ceiling

I would like the new config to be a 3 switch out

3 switches / 4 sets of wire

First switch will still control the outside light
Second switch will still control the outlet
Third switch will control the fan and light

How do i make these connections

I figured out that all white are tied together in one nut
but how due i connect the black wires

I also have 2 red wires/ 1 red comes from the newly installed wire and I did not connect the red to the ceiling fan. But there is one red original wire?

Please have a little patience with me?

Old 07-18-01, 10:58 PM
Okay MAD, we have lots of patience.

The picture is much clearer now -- thanks for your second post. But a few things are still confusing -- please help clear these up:[list=1][*]You ran 12/3 to the ceiling, but you only want one new switch. Therefore, I assume that this one switch controls the fan and light together. You have enough wires to use 4 switches so that you'd have separate switches for the fan and light. But you didn't ask for that solution. So you really want only one new switch?? If so, you ran one more wire than you needed.[*]You identify the existing cables (before your new one) as "3 sets of 12/2". Later, you refer to "one red original wire". This is very confusing, since 12/2 cables have no red wires. Where the heck did this original red wire come from??[*]You have two switches now, presumably in a two-gang box. But you want to have three switches, presumably in the same two-gang box. This implies that you plan to replace one of those switches with a double switch (one switch above the other). Is this true, and if so what do you want the single switch to control, and what do you want the top half of the double switch to control, and what do you want the bottom half of the double switch to control? If you're not planning to use a double switch, then what are you planning?[/list=1]
The solution is going to be really simple once I'm sure you understand what you've got and what you want.

Old 07-19-01, 08:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Wire Crazy

Thank you for your patience and your help

I will try to answer your questions in the order they were asked

There are 3 sets of original wire running to the wall gang box that originally had only two switches, they are pigtailed to provide power to the outside light and the interior wall outlet

one of those sets of wire is a 12/3 that is where the red wire comes from. It is also the only set of wires providing power

I am going to replace the two gang box to a three gang box
and install another switch that will control the light and the fan (This switch has a slider for the fan and a switch below it for the light all in one unit) the final product will be 3 switches
1 of these switchs the new one hopefully would control the fan and light

So the original 2 switch box will now be a three switch box

I hope this helps

Old 07-19-01, 10:40 AM
one of those sets of wire is a 12/3 that is where the red wire comes from. It is also the only set of wires providing power
I would like to know more about how you determined that it is the only set of wires providing power. Do you own a voltmeter? Did you separate all the wires before testing? Did you use one of those simple neon testers? When you say "providing power", do you mean between black and white, red and white, black and red, black and ground, red and ground, or more than one of the above?

Are either of your two switches 3-way switches? The easiest way to tell is to look at the switch lever. 2-way switches say "on" and "off" on the lever, and 3-way switches have a blank lever.

Thank you for the other information. I know a lot more now. We're creeping up on this.