subpanel

Old 07-08-24, 01:47 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
subpanel

I installed a subpanel because I didn't have enough space in my main. I hope the attached photos are helpful. My service is 150 amps. I had put 3 wall heaters in my finished basement that required a 240 volt dedicated circuit for each. As the photos show I have two 50 amp breakers supplying the subpanel and in the subpanel are the breakers for the 240 volt circuits along with two other circuits. My question is, "was I correct in supplying the subpanel with two 50 amp breakers?" Also, in the third photo, there's a screw on the right. It isn't green so I assume that's not the ground screw, but I want to be sure. I know the panel shouldn't be grounded. They were very clear about that when I bought the panel. Anyways, any input would be appreciated.

Old 07-08-24, 02:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
You're feeding your sub panel with 240v at 50A.
That's not a bad thing but the panel needs to be fed with at least the amount of load.

You should add up all the loads including the heaters to confirm 50A is large enough.
That dark screw on the ground bus looks green and should remain in place.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-08-24 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Correction - thanks pattenP (brainfart)
Old 07-08-24, 03:26 PM
P
Received 278 Upvotes on 235 Posts
That green screw appears to bond the ground bar to the panel and should NOT be removed. The neutral bar should not be bonded to the panel, which appears it is not. This needs to be verified using a multimeter.

Old 07-08-24, 04:28 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 49 Upvotes on 40 Posts
What are the heaters and their specs? And what's on the other circuits?

Old 07-08-24, 07:22 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll check the heaters to see how many amps they draw. I made sure the other circuits were ones only in use during summer months (outside pump and outlet for summer use) when heaters were off.

Old 07-09-24, 07:09 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I see you have an older GE aluminum bus panel. As a word of caution, please be advised that some of those older GE aluminum bus panels have been known to catch on fire when using the GE thin style Type THQP circuit breakers which you have a lot of. I would recommend you start putting extra dollars aside to start a panel replacement fund. This is documented on the Consumer Product Safety Commission website, with pictures. I was somewhat familiar with the house that had a GE panel catch fire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: