Sump Pump GFCI or Single Outlet

Old 07-09-24, 06:23 PM
G
Gen
Received 18 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Sump Pump GFCI or Single Outlet

I cringe having a GFCI outlet on a sump pump for fear that it may nuisance trip. But I thought it used to be you could put a single outlet on those types of devices and it was code OK?

Either that or you were permitted to put outlets out of easy reach in the basement rather than put a GFCI in?
I would sleep better installing an outlet like the one in the picture.

What's current code about this? Thanks!

Old 07-09-24, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 916 Upvotes on 774 Posts
Both of those exceptions to avoid using a GFCI have been eliminated in the current NEC. It is now required to have GFCI protection on all receptacles installed in a basement. If you do install a GFCI for the sump pump I would recommend installing one with an alarm that will sound if the GFCI trips. Example: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-rad...let/1000272573 (Note: it is only 60Db at 10')

IMO - I would want my sump pump to keep pumping water until it can't pump anymore. In my house, I would not put a sump pump on a GFCI. Instead, I would figure out a way to hard wire the sump pump and install a switch for a disconnect.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 07-09-24, 09:08 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 50 Upvotes on 41 Posts
My sump pump has been on a GFCI for years, never tripped. And I don't mind the GFCI tripping if the pump fails. That's good actually. But it would be annoying if the GFCI itself failed.

Old 07-10-24, 04:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,326 Upvotes on 2,068 Posts
I have a sewage ejector pit and pump, basically a sump pump that's been on a GFCI for 20 years and it has never tripped. As a matter of fact, nothing in my house seems to trip the GFCI except the occasional thunderstorm.

Old 07-10-24, 05:34 AM
W
Received 36 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Not too long after we bought our current house (40 years ago) I installed a sump pump in the unfinished basement. It was served by a GFI along with a chest type freezer. We came home from a 2 week vacation to find a tripped GFI, nearly a foot of water in the basement and a freezer full of rotting food. After we cleaned up the mess I replaced the GFI with a non GFI receptacle. When the basement was rewired a couple of years ago the electrician installed a GFI for the sump and he convinced me that
newer GFIs are more reliable and less susceptible to nuisance trips.

Old 07-10-24, 05:39 AM
C
Received 185 Upvotes on 150 Posts
I have two sump pumps in an outside pit that empty the foundation drains (dead flat lot, no daylight to drain to). I had them on two separate circuits and on GFCI's with alarms. One or the other would occasionally trip the GFCI even though the pumps were working fine. I eventually just swapped them for single outlets with no GFCI.

Old 07-10-24, 06:08 AM
G
Gen
Received 18 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Thank for the replies. So I'm hearing that the newer GFCI's are less prone to nuisance trips, which feels good.
Would, per chance, a WR GFCI outlet be even less likely?

Old 07-10-24, 06:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 210 Upvotes on 181 Posts
The WR rating is to deal with the environment it is installed in. The trip levels are the same.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: