Dimmer Switch

Old 07-18-01, 09:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello,

I am working on redecoring a bedroom and want to install the dimmer switch I got for the main light in the room. Its just a single, plain old switch. I looked up the directions, but have a question. The directions talk about 3 wires, My switch only has two (black and white) and a plain copper looking wire thats not hooked up to the switch. The new dimmer switch has a ground wire (I am assuming thats what it is since its green) but there is no ground screw on the back of the switch box to hook it too, like the directions say. Should I just connect the black and white wire and be done or does more have to be do make it work safely? The wires in the switch box look a little thicker than the dimmer switches wires, but I made sure they were the same switch (120V AC) The old switch also has the wires connected into the box, not wired to the box with wire nuts, does that make sense? The wires go into the back of the switch itself.

I had a successful time installing the cieling fan light! So I am proud of that, but this through me a little.

Hopefully this is enough info to get some help!

Thank you!
Robyn M.

Old 07-18-01, 10:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Robyn,

Hook the two black dimmer wires to the two wires that were hooked to the brass screws on the old switch. Then hook the green dimmer wire to the bare wire in the box. The dimmer connections will use wire nuts for all three connections.

Old 07-18-01, 10:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Works great! Your the bomb :O) Thanks alot. The only other things I wanted to ask that I forgot to mention was this also run the ceiling fan. So the ceiling fan is either off or on when the light is. Is there anyway to have a second switch to operate just the ceiling fan? Or would that have had to been wired for that originally? With the dimmer its great because you can turn the light down and still have the ceiling fan running, instead of having to have a bright light on just cause you want the fan on! Its the same way in the master bedroom, but I never knew if it was fixable.

Thank you so much for your time! What an awesome resource!

Robyn M.

Old 07-19-01, 06:32 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If this dimmer is controlling the fan itself, you're probably going to get a much-reduced life of the fan. Most ceiling fans are not designed to operate off a dimmer.

Yes, there is a way to add another switch for the fan, and it's a good idea if the dimmer is currently controlling the fan. But you need to run another wire between the wall and the ceiling.

Old 07-19-01, 07:54 AM
Visiting Guest
mmmmm,well that I am not sure I could do myself. I will have to hire for someone for that, but would be worth it. because I would love to have two switches. Thanks again!

Robyn M.

Old 07-19-01, 12:23 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Assuming you have continuous power in the ceiling box,
you can connect the fan power to continuous contuous power,
and have the wall switch control just the light/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: