Multiple cables through an opening on a single blue box?

Old 08-05-01, 02:01 PM
M
MKM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Picture a Blue Box (20.3 cubic inches). It has two openings on top and two on the bottom (just waiting to be punched out). I'm running power in, and I want to put in a receptacle and feed power out in two directions. I'll have a total of three cables going into the box.

Here's the question - Do I have to punch out three of the openings, or can I just punch out two openings on top and run two wires through one opening and one through the other?

(I'm wondering, because all my outlets are at 12" above the floor and my holes through the studs are at 18". I need all three cables to run through the 18" level, so it would be preferrable if I did not have to use the box's bottom holes.)

Thanx...

...Mike

Old 08-05-01, 04:06 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you are installing a nonmetallic box that is single gang then yes you may install more than one cable in the same hole entering that single gang nonmetallic box. However if you are installing a double gang or larger nonmetallic box and all other instances you must enter the box with only one Romex unless that Romex is secured to that box by a device approved to contain two cables in that type connector.

The answer is yes a single gang nonmetallic receptacle or switch box is allowed to have two cables entering the same holes. See a copy of the NEC exception below;

370-17. Conductors Entering Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings
Conductors entering boxes, conduit bodies, or fittings shall be protected from abrasion and shall comply with (a) through (d).
Exception: Where nonmetallic-sheathed cable or underground feeder and branch-circuit cable is used with single gang boxes no larger than a nominal size 2¼ in. x 4 in., mounted in walls or ceilings, and where the cable is fastened within 8 in. (203 mm) of the box measured along the sheath and where the sheath extends through a cable knockout no less than ¼ in. (6.35 mm), securing the cable to the box shall not be required. Multiple cable entries shall be permitted in a single cable knockout opening.

Hope this helps

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: