phone beeping problem

Old 08-07-01, 05:22 PM
highkamp
Visiting Guest
We have experianced a problem unique to one phone jack location that presents itself in the form of a periodic "beep" that is heard during a conversation (noticed especially by the caller on the other end). We tried switching phones, but any phone used does the same thing (regular or cordless). I think it is something related to the wiring itself. All other jacks in the house work fine. What could possibly cause this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-01, 07:47 PM
Visiting Guest
beep on jk

I am a service tech. for local phone company. Wiring or jack itself would not cause a phone to "beep". It could however cause static on one jack. have you ever heard it on other jack locations?,

Old 08-11-01, 01:11 AM
Vixrofo
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Did you know that hearing periodic beeps CAN mean that your phone is being "bugged"? The beeping is indicative of a wire-tap, and it is heard to warn people they are being recorded. I know it sounds like a far reach, but could it be a possibility for you?

Old 08-13-01, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If this happens intermittently, you may be hearing a "Call Waiting" beep. You might think you don't have Call Waiting, but the phone company often bundles features together or they may have activated the feature in error.

Next time you hear it, try hitting "flash" on your phone (or quick hang up and release) and see if there's another caller there.

Old 08-13-01, 07:25 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Where I come from only you hear the call waiting tone,
the other party just hears a click and silence for the
length of the tone.

Old 08-23-01, 09:52 AM
Visiting Guest
It could be call waiting and perhaps you just get calls when your on that phone? Is that the phone you use most? A periodic beep is not a wiring problem. However as prviously mentioned a short higher pitched beep can be some type of recording device, but unless you have a history we should not know about its probably not the case.