Ceiling Fan to Outlet

Old 08-14-01, 04:27 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a ceiling fan that has the power cord running across the ceiling and into an electrical outlet. I would like to wire the ceiling fan through the attic so I don't have to see the cord. I think I can wire the fan okay, but I don't know how to tie that wire into the outlet box. Is it okay to have the additional wires in the outlet box just twisted with the matching wires?

Old 08-14-01, 05:14 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Maybe. Probably. But not certainly.

There are a lot of considerations. Usually matching wire color works, but not always if the receptacle is switched.

Usually you can just add wires to the box, but not if the box is already overcrowded. This depends on the size of the box, the size of the wires, the number of wires, etc.

All connections must be made with no more than one wire under a receptacle screw, and/or with correctly sized wire nuts.

Make sure you use the correct size wire. Usually 14-gauge is right, but sometimes 12-gauge is required.

I strongly suggest you get (and thoroughly read) a book on home wiring at your local Home Depot or public library before beginning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: