old wiring - age & upgradeability

Old 08-18-01, 05:00 PM
Visiting Guest
I have an old Westinghouse heating pad with eiderdown cover, and wondered if it's possible to tell the aproximate age from the type of cord, and also if it can be safely rewired. The box states it is 60 watts, and 95-125 volts. The cord is two strands rubber over thick copper wires, twisted, and covered in a satin like cloth.Plug may not be original, but is older same size contacts (prongs), and two not three grounding type plug. Instructions list three heat settings as being "Low Current", "Medium Current", and "High Current". I relize it's not safe the way it is, but the eiderdown cover is soooo nice, and I would really like to know the age. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-19-01, 09:24 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I would guess what you discribe as around the 1957 to 1963 time frame. Not possible to pinpoint a time frame exact by a discription. If you want to confirm when it was manufactured you should be able to look at the back of your control and find a model and serial number. Then try emailing Westinghouse providing the model number and serial number and they should be able to give the date and assembly line.

Good Luck

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: