How do I connect a 4-wire fixture?

Old 08-19-01, 03:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just bought a light fixture with 4 wires - 2 black & 2 white. In the ceiling there is 1 black & 1 white. Which wire(s) do I connect?

I tried twisting the 2 blacks (from the fixture) together to the black in the ceiling (ditto white side), but no luck. I decided then to stop experimenting.

FYI, neither ceiling wire is hot when the wall switch is off; the ceiling wires are only live when the wall switch is on.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-01, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rookie,

Your first experiment was correct. It should have worked.

You might help us by defining "no luck."

Here are some possible problems:
  • You didn't make the connections very well. Did you use the correct size wire nuts and did you make the connections correctly?
  • Does the fixture possibly have a toggle switch on it that you didn't toggle?
  • Did you turn the breaker back on and the wall switch too?
  • Perhaps you have a bad fixture or a bad bulb.
Post back.

Old 08-19-01, 07:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

By "no luck" I mean the bulbs did not light up when I flipped the wall switch after joining 2 blacks to black & 2 whites to white. Also:
- the fixture itself has no switch
- the breaker was ON in addition to the wall switch
- I tried different bulbs in different sockets (the fixture takes 4 bulbs)

Does it matter that there is no power in the ceiling wires when the wall switch is OFF? Isn't there a scenario where I'd join:
- black+black+white to ceiling's black
- white to ceiling's white

Would I do the latter if the ceiling was receiving power even when the wall switch is OFF?

Thanks again.

Old 08-19-01, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does it matter that there is no power in the ceiling wires when the wall switch is OFF?
No, this is correct whenever you only have one black and one white wire coming out of the box.
Isn't there a scenario where I'd join: black+black+white to ceiling's black & white to ceiling's white
Absolutely not!
Would I do the latter if the ceiling was receiving power even when the wall switch is OFF?
Absolutely not!

Again, you wired it correctly the first time. My best guess now is that you have a bad fixture. Where did you get it?