Main Circuit Breaker

Old 08-19-01, 09:19 PM
Visiting Guest
I would like to replace my main circuit breaker. I have a double poll 100 amp entry break (100 stamped on both poles). One pole loses voltage as I add breakers...there fore one panel is useless. I don't want to work on the box hot. I understand you can 'remove' the meter from the outside to stop power from coming in. Can a 'do-it-yourselfer' like myself do that? Can I remove the meter with basic home tools? Or is there another way i can get power shut of to my house? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-01, 04:44 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
A Utility company meter is their cash box. Most locations frown very must about anyone monkeying with their cash box. Commonly the Utility company will file theft charges if a seal is cut and the meter is pulled without they themselves doing the removal.

I would contact your local electrical inspector and ask what the accepted practice is in your area. You most likely will have to have a permit from that inspector and and inspection approval from that inspector and have made prior arrangements to have the power company de-energize that meter's power supply.

DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE YOU MAIN BREAKER WITHOUT THE POWER COMPANY AND INSPECTOR SHUTTING OFF THE POWER PROPERLY. YOU ARE WORKING WITH AN UNFUSED ENERGISED WIRE THAT WILL CAUSE A MELT DOWN IN YOU PANEL OR EVEN KILL YOU IF YOU MAKE CONTACT TO THE WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME.

I would inspect your wiring again to make sure exactly what is causing the loss of power. Look for heat damage where the wires are connecting to the main breaker or heat damage showing on the buss bar where that buss bar is connected to that main breaker. You may just have a loose connection that makes it look like the main breaker is failing.

I would put your voltage tester on the line side of that main breaker and then apply load to that breaker by turning on your branch circuit breakers one at a time. If you have a problem before the main you voltage tester will show the loss of voltage. If you see damage due to heat somewhere then inspect that area.

Let us know how you come out, above all be careful.

Wg