Mystery Wires...

Old 08-20-01, 08:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I'm trying to install a ceiling fan in my bedroom, and although the builder saw fit to use the "standard" colored wires in the rest of the house (i.e., black/green/white), in the master I have one black, 2 whites I believe, a piece of wire/metal, that I think is the ground, and a RED wire!
So, white is neutral; but how do I know which wire (black or red) is hot for power, and the switch??

I have the standard black, white and blue wires from the ceiling fan, by the way. And it may follow that white goes to white; black to black; and red to whatever is left over, but better safe than sorry!

Thanks in advance! A.

Old 08-20-01, 08:47 AM
J
jn
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If I was going to guess what you have here I would say that the builder supplied a 12-3 with ground to your ceiling box. (But you would only have 1 white and since you said you thought you had 2 I am still assuming you really only have 1).
I am also assuming that this fixture is only operated by one switch.
If you check in you swith box that controls this fixture you should find the other end of the red wire.
I this is the case...read on...otherwise post back!
This practice is standard around my neck of the woods. The builder is giving you the option of controlling the fan separate from the light with one of those double "fancy" light/fan swithes.
If this is the case:
If you dont want one of those switches and want to simply fire everything up with the existing switch...you hook your black and blue on the fan/light to black in the ceiling, and hook white to white.
If you do want to use a new switch it is like having 2 switches in 1, so you would wire up the new switch
(you can use its instructions)and you would wire the fan/light black to black, white to white, and red to blue...black and red are both power but on separate switches. Hopr this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: