light won't go off PART 2

Old 08-20-01, 06:05 PM
Visiting Guest
I wrote earlier about the kitchen light fixture that would not go off and was told to check the wiring. As was expected:

A. The black wire from the light fixture is connected to one of the black wires from the ceiling.

B. The white wire from the light fixture is connected to the white wire in the ceiling.

C. The remaining black and white wire from the ceiling appears to be connected to the light fixture as well, although it is a little hard to tell.

So, I assume this is incorrectly hooked up. What do I need to do to fix it?

Thanks, Julian

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-01, 06:24 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You need to open the first post you entered then hit reply and ask the same question you just asked. That way your subject stays in the same post for us new ones to enter the series of questions.

Look for my reply there.

Wg

Old 08-22-01, 08:32 AM
jn
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If there are two sets of wires coming to the ceiling box, most likely 1 set is power (all the time) and one set drops down to the switch. If the light is on all the time the light is connected to the set that supplies the incoming power and not to the switch. I would pull the plate off at the switch and see what you have there...I would assume a black and a white wire that is coming from the ceiling and nothing else.(black on one screw and white on the other) If this is the case...read on. Kill power to the light (turn off the breaker...whatever...till the light goes off). The set of wires that are connected directly to the light right now is the incoming power. Disconnect these from everything. Connect black from this set to the white of the other set in the ceiling (this will put the power that is in the ceiling all the time onto the white wire that is dropping down to the switch. Connect the remaining white from the first set in the ceiling to the white wire of the light (this supplies the light with a neutral connection). Connect the black wire from the second set in the ceiling to the black wire of the light(this is the switched power coming back to the ceiling from the switch). Try it out....post back