ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS FOR CEILING FAN REPLACEMENT

Old 08-21-01, 06:57 AM
Visiting Guest
I am replacing a ceiling fan which had separate chains for turning the fan and the lighting fixture on and off, and a wall switch supplying power to the electrical box. The new ceiling fan has a light fixture which is attached underneath the fan with wires coming out of the bottom of the fan. The new ceiling fan has a remote control which controls both the fan and lights. The directions for electrical hookup of the fan have the normal black (hot), white (neutral), green (ground) wiring instructions. The electrical box has black (hot), white (neutral), bare copper (ground) wires, but it also had a red wire. My question is, what is the purpose of the red wire, and what do I do with the red wire when making the electrical connections for the new ceiling fan?

Old 08-21-01, 07:25 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I guess the obvious question is, "to what was that red wire attached on your old fan?"

Do you have two wall switches, one for the fan and one for the fan's light? Even if you don't, the electrician probably prewired to accommodate this (e.g., black for the fan and red for the fan's light). So since you now have a remote control, the red wire isn't needed. Just put a wire nut on it to cap it off.

Old 08-21-01, 08:11 AM
Visiting Guest
That is an obvious question if you ask it first. My only other ceiling fan experience did not have an extra red wire, so I wasn't looking for it until it was too late and I had already disconnected. If I want the wall switch to control power completely, I have to determine if the red or the black wire is hooked up to the switch and hook that one up to the fan, right?

Old 08-21-01, 11:26 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Right!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: