repairing wiring to house after storm


Old 08-21-01, 08:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

We are renting an old house and we are responsible for repairs. This past weekend, a tree fell on the corner of the house ripping off the electical hook up. We were told by the electric company that we need to replace the eyebolt and the 60 amp service cable. How do we go about doing this ourselves?
Old 08-21-01, 10:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I would hire a licensed electrician. If you are not experienced in doing electrical work. Working with service voltages is dangerous. You may avoid legal liabilities too by hiring a licensed electrician.
Old 08-22-01, 02:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
First thing you need to do is contact you local Electrical Inspector in your Code Enforcement Div. of local government. He will tell you if a total service upgrade is required or a minor repair will be accepted. You will also have to receive his approval before the Utility Company will reconnect you power.

If you decide to do this project yourself you might want to read the following link explaining how to build a new service. YOu will have to do part or all of what is in that article. If you have a 60 amp service the Electrical Inspector may require you to upgrade the service to a new 100 amp rated or larger service. The NEC requires new work to have a minimum of a 100 amp service to a dwelling. There is also a link showing you how to do a demand load calculation to calculate the minimum service size your dwelling requires as per the NEC.

Hope these help


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: