Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need to install a ceiling fan but ceiling fixture looks like an octopus!!

Need to install a ceiling fan but ceiling fixture looks like an octopus!!

Old 08-22-01, 08:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Could someone help me? When I removed a light fixture to install a ceiling fan, I found three cables entering the box. The three white wires were taped together and unattached. The light was connected to two black wires piggy-backed on one side and another black wire on the other side. However the ceiling fan directions say to fasten to both black and white wires. Do I connect the same way the light was or do I take them all apart and start over?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-01, 09:31 AM
jn
If you simply take the wires that are going to the light and hook them up to the fan you should be OK....Don't let the wire colors confuse the facts....the light worked before and the fan will work now if you hook it up the same way.

Old 08-22-01, 10:07 AM
Visiting Guest
I'll guess that the wall switch is connected to the Neutral wires of the branch-circuit.----Connect a lamp socket to the Blacks,1 lead connected to 2 Blacks,the other to 1 Black-this replicates the original connection if my "guess" is correct.---Operate the wall switch to verify the switch operation----dis-connect the lamp-lead from the single Black-----seperate the 3 White wires---touch the loose lamp-lead to each White-the White that lites the lamp is the Neutral feed.---re-connect the lamp-lead to the single Black and touch the 2 loose White wires to the White Neutral feed.(Switch On!!)-the White wire that lites the lamp goes to the switch-mark this wire with Black tape----connect the loose White to the Neutral feed White----dis-connect the lamp lead from the 2 Blacks and connect the White-marked-Black to the 2 Blacks----connect the loose lamp-lead to the 2 Whites and check the switch operation.You should have: 2 Blacks and a White-marked-Black connection which goes inside the box-a lamp socket connected to 2 Whites and 1 Black,switch-controlled. Good Luck!

Old 08-23-01, 07:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink Octopus under control

Thanks so much to switchman and jn for your help with the ceiling fan. I'm kicking back with some ice tea and my hair is flying in the breeze. Thanks again!! Laura