frequent bulb burn out

Old 08-22-01, 02:38 PM
Brad L.
Visiting Guest
I have four recessed lights in my living room that have an unusually high burn out rate. I use 65 watt indoor floods and have tried various brands with the same result. They normally last only about 2 months. What might be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-01, 05:41 PM
Visiting Guest
FREQUENT BULB BURNOUT

IF THEY ARE LASTING TWO MONTHS USUALLY YOU CAN RULE OUT ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE LIGHT FIXTURES. WHAT IS RIGHT ABOVE YOUR LIVING ROOM. IF IT IS A HIGH TRAFFIC AREA WITH ALOT OF BANGING ABOVE THAN THAT COULD BE YOUR PROBLEM.I.E WHENEVER I INSTALL BASEMENT LIGHTS BEFORE THE CARPET OR HARDWOOD I END UP CHANGING ALL OF THE BULBS

Old 08-22-01, 06:23 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
In order to maintain the same lighting atmosphere you need to stay with the same type inside flood bulb. However there is a couple of things that may prolong your life of these bulbs. Heavy use of bulbs such as for long periods of time will tend to cause heat to build up. The recess tanks usually have an adjustment allowing you to raise or lower the bulb within the tank. Try to take out your bulb and see if there is a slide allowing you to lower you bulb so that it sticks you about 20% more than surface. This should allow those bulbs to run cooler allowing for possibly longer use before replacement is needed.

You may also reduce the wattage output of that bulb by buying a smaller wattage rated flood bulb. This also should reduce the heat build up allowing longer life expectancy.

You may also install a dimmer in place of your switch allowing you to tone down the light output therefore the heat output again allowing the bulb to run cooler prolonging the life of your bulb.

You may also buy what is a higher voltage rated bulb that will prolong the life of the bulb. If you go to an electrical wholesale house and order 130 volt bulbs in place of 120 volt bulbs with the same wattage output rating the filiment inside the bulb will be heavier and will take more prolonged heating again prolonging the life of the bulb.

Hope one of these suggestions helps your situation.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 08-22-01, 08:42 PM
Brad L.
Visiting Guest
The only thing above my living room is attic space. However, it has a coffered ceiling and is decked inside the attic with 2x8's for the hvac unit. I know that the recessed fixtures need good ventilation in the attic but I had never noticed if the builders had allowed for it in that area.

Sure enough, there was only one fixture with proper ventilation. I'll have to cut out a section of plank (with the breakers off and being careful not to cut the wiring) to dissipate the heat. It's already hot enough here in Houston that it must be 120 degrees up there. Sounds like a Winter job to me.

Thanks for the help.
Brad