Simplified NEC book?

Old 08-31-01, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

My favorite forum! I know the subject line makes everyone cringe, but I dare go forth.

My brother, in another state from me, is remodeling an old house he bought, for the next 2 years, full time, all by himself. First he needs to rewire it so they can live in it and he phoned me for my somewhat experienced advice as a DIY home electrician. I want to help, but I can't layout a house by code. Is there a laymans books that gives the basic NEC information for wiring a home?

His first question to me was, "What size of main service panel does he need" and "Where will it be located" since the old service is in the attic. Sheeesh, I'm stumped already. He has done remodeling all his life, but never wired more than the typical extra circuit on an existing service.

He will hire an electrician to finish the job of making all the electrical connections in all the boxes, but he wants to perform the costly labor of adding the wall outlets and run the romex himself. Will professionals agree to finish a job like that? Or is there a liabiltiy issue there?

His house is a 2 floor, 4 bedroom home with an very old 2 circuit fuse panel. There is only 1 lighting circuit and a handful of outlets in the existing house. Most rooms have no outlets at all.

He is working with the local building inspector for all aspects of the remodel, and wants to do the job right and have it inspected when complete.

I might email him your replys so he can get a first hand feel for the suggestions and concerns. It might encourage him to get online himself. This is absolutely the best forum in the world for electrical because so many professionals hang out here.

Lugnut.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-01, 02:09 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You are right this DIY forum is in my opinion the most laymen do it yourself friendly forum on the net. There are several pros that reply here. They many times see the wiring design requirements many different ways and discuss sometimes in depth and then agree not to agree, yet these pros are still there side by side to help the DIYer. Can't ask for anything more in my opinion. You might want to hit the following two following links on Don and my site then come back in to this forum with a more informed set of questions for us to help you with. You need a good place to start with the NEC requirments made as user friendly as we can provide to get you a picture for you to start with then we can help you with the finer details here. If the following links are not of enough help then you may find some home wiring books in you local library or electrical supply houses.

http://homewiring.tripod.com/newdwel.html

http://homewiring.tripod.com/meter.html

You can also find much more info like the two links above that is a part of the site link below. Just move your cursor over the electronic signature below for the entire site to veiw.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 09-02-01, 04:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi,

Thank you very much for the links. I am perusing the articles now and they look great. This is a good starting point. As usual, I am impressed!

Lugnut