threeway switches

Old 08-31-01, 09:49 AM
Visiting Guest
I AM TRYING TO INSTALL A THREEWAY SWITCH SYSTEM IN MY DINNING ROOM. IN THE ORIGINAL SINGLE POLE HAS 12-2 WIRE COMING IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX BLACK WHITE COPPER. I'VE PUT 12-3 OUT THE TOP OF BOX TO THE NEW THREE WAY SWITH ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROOM AND THEN TO THE LIGH AND ONE SWITCH WORKS AND THE OTHER DOESN'T. IS THE COMMON SIDE OF THE SWITCH WHERE THE HOT WIRE GOES. WHAT AM I SUPOSE TO DO WITH THE RED WIRES .

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-01, 09:57 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You didn't need 12/3 from the second switch to the light, but it doesn't hurt.

I hope you threw that single-pole switch away and bought two 3-way switches.

At the first switch, connect the black from the 12/2 to the "common". Connet the two white wires to each other. Connect the black and red from the 12/3 to the two traveller screws.

At the second switch, connect the black and red of the 12/3 from the first switch to the traveller screws (opposite to the first switch -- e.g., if red was on top on the first switch, then put it on bottom on this switch). Connect the black of the cable going to the light to the "common". Connect the two white wires together. If you have a red wire going to the light, don't connect it to anything -- just cap it off with a wire nut.

At the light, connect black to black and white to white. If there is a red there, cap it off.

Old 09-01-01, 02:58 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
http://homewiring.tripod.com/3way.html

this will give additional info and wiring diagrams for a variety of 3-way switch configurations.