wiring an outlet from an existing light

Old 09-08-01, 03:57 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a ceiling light in my garage and would like to come off of it and install an outlet for my garage door opener. I need the outlet to remain hot all the time even though the light fixture is on a three way switch. How can I do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-01, 05:59 AM
Maybe you can. Maybe you cannot. You need to do a bit of detective work first.

Do this:[list=1][*]Shut off the breaker.[*]Disconnect the light fixture from its mounting, but do not disconnect any of the wiring.[*]Look at all the wires in the box, both the ones connected to the light fixture and the ones not connected to the light fixture.[/list=1]
Most likely, you'll see one of the following. I am ignoring grounding wires.[list=a][*]One black wire and one white wire from the ceiling, connected to one black and one white from the fixture. No other wires. Solution not possible.[*]Two black wires and two white wires from the ceiling. Both black wires from the ceiling connected to the black wire from the fixture, both white wires from the ceiling connected to the white wire from the fixture. Solution not possible.[*]Two black wires and two white wires from the ceiling. One black wire and one white wire connected to the light fixture, and the other black and white connected to each other. Solution is possible.[*]Three black wires, three white wires, and two red wires from the ceiling. Solution is possible.[*]Two black wires, two white wires and two red wires from the ceiling. Solution not possible.[/list=a]
What do you have?