flickering lights when pump runs

Old 09-10-01, 05:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I installed a new 3/4 horse shallow well pump. On the pump is a switch that changes it from 115v to 230v. I set it on 115v, and now when the pump comes on the lights flicker. How do I tell what setting it should be on? It is a plug in to an outlet pump.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-01, 01:01 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
This switch, is it on the pump motor or on the capacitor bank in the crawl of utilty room?

I have not seen a switch changing from 120 to 240 volt on a pump motor.

I suspect that you have something wired wrong but not sure at this time.

Answer where this switch is located and how you wired the well pump system from the panel through the pressure switch through the control box to the pump motor. Then we may be able to help you.

Wg

Old 09-12-01, 04:45 AM
Visiting Guest
goodrich, thanx for your reply.The switch is on the electric motor of the pump. It comes with a place to wire either a plug in to a regular outlet, which I have done, or I am guessing that it could be wired to the box, but I have no idea why anyone would need a pump that ran on 220 wiring. I have solved the problem with the pump going on and off rapidly when it gets up to pressure by adjusting the pressure nut, but it still dims the house lights when it comes on, and the lights blink when it shuts off. Because this is a 3/4 hp pump and not 1/2hp. could it possibly be on a plugin that is on too small of a breaker? The breaker says 15.? It is not kicking it off or anything. Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-12-01, 08:17 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you have a 15 amp breaker protecting this circuit and that breaker is not tripping then I would say that you must have the pump motor wired right.

Is it possible that you have the lights that are dimming on the same branch circuit that the pump is on. This would explain the dimming of lights when the pump turns on.

Let us know about the shared branch circuit. Then maybe we can center down on your dimming cause.

Wg