Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

In GFCI protected circuit at the breaker box, neutral is connected to breaker?

In GFCI protected circuit at the breaker box, neutral is connected to breaker?

Old 09-12-01, 10:10 AM
Visiting Guest
i am reading a book called "inspecting a house" by Rex Cauldwell, and he quotes:
"GFCI breakers must be wired properly. When making the initial check in the panel make sure the circuit neutral is connected to the breaker, not the panel (where the neutral normally goes)"

I am having trouble understanding this. Can someone please enlighten me on this?
thank you
shireesh

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-01, 11:02 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
When you are using a breaker style GFCI you will find a wire tail attached to that GFCI breaker when you buy it. You will then find to screw lugs on the breaker to accept conductors to be attached to that breaker.

The pigtail that is attached by the factory to the GFCI breaker is designed to be attached to the neutral bar. The neutral conductor of the branch circuit is designed to be connected to the lug on the breaker marked neutral or grounded. The hot conductor is also connected to the GFCI breaker on a lug designed for the hot conductor. The neutral is designed to pass through the GFCI breaker as well as the hot conductor passing through the GFCI breaker.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 09-13-01, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A GFCI works by comparing the current in the hot wire and in the neutral wire. If there is an imbalance in the currents, this means that there is current leaking out of the circuit somewhere - possibly through you! - and the circuit is opened. This imbalance current is much, much lower than the normal trip current of the breaker (I'm not sure of the trip level for a GFCI, but if I remember correctly 20 mA passing through your chest is enough to trigger ventricular fibrillation, so the trip limit will be much lower than that).

Obviously, to measure the current in the neutral, the neutral as well as the hot must pass through the breaker. Thus, the neutral comes in through the afrementioned neutral lug, runs through the current sensor, and passes out through the pigtail to the neutral bar.

Old 09-13-01, 03:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Got it! Thank You very much.
best regards
shireesh