Dusk to Dawn stays on

Old 09-17-01, 06:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a dusk to dawn light, about 4 years old, which is staying on all the time. I believe it is a mercury vapor or possibly hi-pressure sodium 150 watts. It cost about $29. I'm not sure where the photo sensor is on the device. I assume it is possible that the sensor is dirty and blocking light. It is not easy for me to remove the light fixture and check it, but I can reach by ladder and clean off the sensor. Can anyone advise how to spot the photo sensor. And/or offer any other approaches.

(At $29, I wouldn't mind replacing, but installing is the hard part.)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-01, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The photo sensor is typically on top and looks like a small round can about an inch or less in diameter. Cleaning it might be worth the trouble, but it is posssible that the sensor has outlived its usefulness (broke). It's possible to get just the sensor, but it sounds like you are reluctant to do your own wiring possibly. Electricians don't cost as much as people percieve, and a simple job like this would not be very inexpensive. You could even buy the fixture yourself and s/he would install it for about 1/2 hour labor charge. Worth a thought.

Juice

Old 09-17-01, 01:26 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Commonly the photo cell is like Juice said. They are easily removed most of the time. These photo cells normally set on top of the light and can be removed by twisting them about a 1/4 turn and they then just uplug. They are removed a lot like unplugging a twist lock plug from a twist lock receptacle. Just twist and pull. It should unplug. Replacement costs are normally small. Replacement of that photo cell is probably your required repair.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 09-19-01, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks Wg and Juice. The info you provided was what I was looking for. And I have enjoyed learning from the many replies each of you have posted to countless inquiries in this forum, as well as my own previous inquiries.

In my opinion this is the best site on the internet, and Electrical is the best forum on this site, thanks to you and many others.