Fan Switch Wiring

Old 09-20-01, 09:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Hello: I am new to forum and hope this is correct place for this topic. I have a small fan with off, fast, and slow 3 position switch. Contacts #1 and #2 are close together and seem to connect each with #3 opposite when switch is turned to position Fast or Slow. Lost paper that shows how power cord is wired into circuit.. Motor has 3 wires coming out, not color coded or marked. I know which wire goes to each switch terminal because I put dots on the motor wires, but do NOT know how the power cord is wired in. I recall that some wires were joined but without the diagram I cannot remember how. Can ANYONE help me to know how to wire the power cord into this circuit? Thanks very much for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-01, 06:57 AM
jn
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Based on the info you supplied, this is my best guess.
Attach power from the power cord (black wire)to the terminal #3 of the switch that you mentioned. The motor should have a wire going to #2 and another wire going to #1 of the switch. There should be a third wire on the motor that didn't go to a terminal before and this would tie to the neutral wire (white wire) of the power cord. The ground wire of the power cord would tie to the metal case for safety.

Old 09-28-01, 12:38 PM
Visiting Guest
jn: thanks for the reply. I may be mistaken about how the original wires connected.
Can I connect power without burning out motor, or do you or anyone know how to test the motor to see if it is still good? I put an ohmmeter across motor wires and between 1&3 got 125 ohms, and between 1&2 or 2&3 got no meter deflection on any scale. Does this mean the motor may be burned out?

Old 10-01-01, 03:04 AM
jn
Once again, giving you my best guess...
The power wire (black on power cord) should go to the switch..the switch would let power go thru it to one of two wires going to the motor. The third wire on the motor would go to neutral (white wire on power cord). I would say that, based on your ohmeter readings, one winding on the fan may be bad. I would have thought that you would see the 125 ohms across one set of windings and something higher or lower across another set of windings. The lower ohmed set would be your high speed.
I would see if any of the wires on the motor are tied to the case of the motor, or if they show some resistance to the case. Then I would see which wires read some resistance between each other. I would then assume that the transformer windings for the fan motor are the set that show resistance between each other and are not tied to the case. I would then put power across these two wiires to see if the motor still functions. You may only have one speed now - the way your previous measurements look. Hope this helps!

Old 10-01-01, 02:21 PM
Visiting Guest
To jn: Your wiring suggestion worked and your reasonsing was correct. This fan had only the high speed before, the low ohm reading was between the end and tap and was in fact high speed. The other end and tap would have been a duplicate high speed and meaningless so the other wire must have been the other end. Since no meter reading between the two ends or the other end and tap, the motor must be burned out between the tap and other end. Thinking this through I then drew a schematic of your wiring suggestion, tested the switch to see which contacts were for the high speed setting and wired and tested it. Im pleased to say it worked and I thank you again for your trouble and your solution.

Old 10-02-01, 04:02 AM
jn
Pleased to be of help...Jeff