flourescent lights

Old 09-23-01, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

I am having a problem with the flourescent lights in my kitchen. Sometimes they will not turn on. My first thought was the switch. Replaced them, no luck. Then I changed the bulbs, no luck. Then I changed the ballast, no luck. At one point I thought it might be the wiring. Well the lights are on 2 separate circuits. So I figured that wasn't it. Then I thought about what was written on the ballasts. They are rapid start but the lights aren't. Could this be what the problem is? By the way, there is no separate starter on these lights to replace.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-01, 09:05 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you replaced your bulbs with the proper flourescent bulbs, and you replaced all the bulbs not just a couple of the bulbs, and if you wired the new balast right, you only have a few more problems that may exist.

When you installed you bulbs you may have straddled the socket on one end of the bulb and didn't make proper contact, this can cause your problem.

You can have a bad connection at one of the light sockets that will also act the same as above.

You may not have the metal shell of the light fixture properly grounded by the equipment grounding conductor. This is required to assist the ignition of the gases in those bulbs.

You may be using improper bulbs. Make sure your bulbs say cool white and the ballast says rapid start, also make sure you have replaced the original ballast with the proper voltage ballast and proper length for your fixture.

You also may have a bad connection or bad switch allowing the power or grounded connections to fail before that circuit reaches those fixtures.

Remember you may have two different problems on two different flourescent fixtures.

Check out the above and let us know what you come out with.

Good Luck

Wg