Surface Mounted Flood Light Box

Old 09-26-01, 01:40 AM
MKM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

Well, I've decided to use a surface mount, weather proof box to mount my floodlight to the outside of my house. Again, I have vinyl siding over celotex on the outside, and an open studded wall on the inside. The box is a surface mount, round (cast metal? box typically used for flood light installation. It has four 1/2" or so holes tapped in arround the side, and has one feed in hole tapped in the center. It also came with 4 plugs. It also has two tabs for mounting.

In my application, i will drill a hole through the wall to feed the wire into the box. The box will be surface mounted to the exterior using the tabs.I'm guessing that I should use a goo dose of silicon seal between the box and the siding. I was going to put a little silicin on each of the plug trheads as well. My question is, how do I feed the wire into the back side of the box (through th ecenter threaded hole). Do I just make sure the cable is stapled within 8" , or do I need one of those plastic clamps/bushings inserted or what? Not sure here. Any help is appreciated, and please feel free to enhance/critique my process.

Thanks...
...Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-01, 02:13 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Screw a 3/8" metal Romex connector into the hole in the back of the box. This romex connector will screw into that hole where the goof plug is normally place when unused. Insert your Romex into the Romex clamp and tighten down clamping the Romex to the box. Then dab a bit of sealant around the outside of the Romex connector and mount to the wall while the sealant is still setting. Should cause a decent seal. The Connector will enter the hole in the siding and be considered as inside the wall.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 09-26-01, 01:46 PM
Visiting Guest
I carry around a tube of grey silicon in my workvan for just such occasions, i really think the term 'wheatherproof'
is suspect here in Northern New England