ADDING SECOND PHONE LINE - WIRING

Old 10-02-01, 07:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Someone pls help me. going insane with wires. I asked the phone co to add a second phone line to my home, now they want me to swap the black and yellow line to green and red? I did it already but I canít get the new number to work. Ė the black is connected to orange/white and yellow is connected to white/orange; red is connected to blue with white mark and green is connected to white with blue mark.

So far only the main line (line 1) is working , i.e. red and green, how can I make the black and yellow work? Outside the house is the NID- I checked it, and I have dial tones to both Line 1 and 2 (old and new numbers).

I tried removing the red and green connnections to terminals and left the black and yellow connected to terminals and it ain't working. I have the splitter in place. Is this soemthing to do with wiring to the house? I appreciate any responses.
Thanks In Advance
Regards,
Sharon

Regards,

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-01, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need one of several things:
  • You can install a jack specifically for line two. In this case, simply connect the orange and orange/white to red and green. If you buy a double-jack wall plate to replace your single-jack plate, you can have separate jacks for the two lines.
  • You can install a jack for a two-line phone, if you have such a phone. In this case, you attach blue and blue/white to red and green, and attach orange and orange/white to black and yellow.
  • You can do as above but buy a two-line adaptor (at Radio Shack or even K-Mart) to plug into this jack. Then you plug one phone into one side of the adaptor and the other into the other side of the adaptor. Make sure you have the right kind of adaptor. Some are designed to simply allow two places to plug into line one, and others which look identically from the outside are designed to allow a place to plug into line one and a place to plug into line two. Perhaps you have the wrong kind.
Post back and let us know.

Old 10-02-01, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One other thought. Check the NID again to make sure they really hooked up the orange and orange/white wires to the new line on the consumer side of the box. Even without these connections, the test jack will work. Making connections on the consumer side is not really their job, but they sometimes do it anyway.