Adding Electric eye to outdoor lighting

Old 10-03-01, 12:09 PM
djarboe
Visiting Guest
My outdoor house accent lights are controlled by two switches, one in the entry and one in the garage. Can I put a sensor in the circuit to turn the lights on at dusk and off at dawn? If so, how would the circuit diagram look?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-01, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can do this with no wiring at all. Simply use one of those screw-in electric eyes in the socket and then the bulbs screws into that. $6 at Home Depot.

If you really want to wire in an electric eye, you can just interrupt the wiring to the lights and insert an electric eye. $13 at Home Depot.

With either of these approaches, you'd simply leave the light switches in one of the "on" combinations.

Old 10-03-01, 05:00 PM
Able Sashweight
Visiting Guest
Question is whether you want the accent lights always on at night, or on when you switch them on, but turning off during the day in case you forget to turn them off. Its a matter of intention that lets you fine tune the equipment.

If they aren't already, consider installing illuminated switches so you can tell during the day if the lighting circuit is energized.

In my situation, I have a 3 conductor circuit for outdoor lights: black is always hot, and red is powered through a photo detector, (and white is neutral). And I ran this cable everywhere i expected to have lights. Partly I wanted a way to keep the lights off at High Noon however forgetful i might be. Haven't energized it yet, so who knows if it will work as intended.

Able