6' fluorescent light fixtures

Old 10-04-01, 03:33 PM
elling6
Visiting Guest
Question

I have three six foot fluorescent fixtures recessed in my U-shaped kitchen soffits . Talking to the sales guy at a local Lowes - he said the bulbs are becoming obsolete. I do not believe you can buy fixtures anymore so it seemed reasonable. Do you have any opinions and suggestions. My first thought was to replace with a 2 foot and 4 foot fixture but that would be six fixtures in series. I also pursued recessed lighting but my soffit only extends 10"
(just enough for for a single fluorescent light fixture) beyond the top cabinets. My final thought was to attempt to replace the ballasts and take my chances that the bulbs will continue to be available.

Thanks in advance
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-01, 03:09 AM
You can do any of these things. I'll bet the six foot tubes will continue to be available, although perhaps harder and harder to find, and more ane more expensive.

Six fixtures in "series" (they are electrically in parallel) is not a problem. I'd probably use this approach.

You could also replace this with three four-foot fixtures where the six-foot ones are, and then another four-foot fixture perpendicular to the other three across the end. Four-foot bulbs will continue to be, far and away, the most economical (they're even cheaper than two-foot bulbs). Actually, this is what I'd probably do.

Old 10-05-01, 04:53 AM
Obsolete meaning that Lowe's won't carry them because they can't sell enough to justify the shelf space. However, I'll bet they will be available for a long time at more specialized suppliers (just looking at my Grainger's catalog, they list many different lengths you'll never find at a home center). They'll cost more, but compare that to the cost and hassle of replacing the fixtures. Plus, how often does a flourescent burn out?