New power outlet in finished wall

Old 10-05-01, 01:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi to all!
I have bought a Big Screen TV and the place where I'm planning to set it up does not have a wall outlet.I have a ceiling outlet and and a 1/2 bathroom at about 8 or 10 feet to the location where I want to install the TV set.How can I might be able to add a power oulet to that wall without any cable showing? I want to install a permanent wall outlet in that side of the room.
Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Gil.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-01, 02:53 PM
Arrow new circuit

My recomendation is to install a new 15A circuit for this application. Stay away from the wiring in the bathroom, there are National Electrical Code stipulations about bathrooms. (simple answer)
Do you have standard 2x4 construction with sheetrock over it?
Is this on a floor with a basement or attic adjacent?

gj

Old 10-05-01, 10:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your prompt respond!
Here is the setup.I'm buying this house and the room that I'm refering to is an addition that was made for the previous owners.The addition runs the width of the house and is divided into two rooms.On one side there is a jacuzzy room and on the otherside,a family room that I would like to convert into a recreation room,you know,audio and video kind of room.The wall that separates the jacuzzy room from the A/V room it's sheetrock and 2x4. There's no basement.If I can't get to that place from the bathroom fixtures,What about the ceiling outlet or from the jacuzzy room?

Thanks again!

Old 10-06-01, 10:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi greenjacket

I forgot to mention that I don't know if the addition roof is 2x4.We are going to be closing next week ,but I have a tape recorded of all the house.

Thanks

Old 10-07-01, 10:16 AM
The attic would be your only option. Coming from the fixture in the jacuzzi room would probably not work due to the wiring layout. Are there any other walls in this room that are fixed construction (framed walls) that are 2ft or wider and do not have receptacles?
1999 NEC requires receptacles in habitable room to be located within 6ft of every doorway on each side, 12ft between recectacles, and all walls 2ft or wider to have a receptacle. All of these values are maximums. I like to space my receptacles closer, the size, layout, and use of the room will determine what is best.
I am not implying that you must do all of this, this is just information to your advantage. The idea is you can plug in common appliances (lamps etc.) without the use of extension cords, which by Code are only to be used for a maximum of 90 days for any one application.

Can you route the new circuit through the attic?
If not I will give you other information about what to do.
What else is on the circuit(s) that would be easy to access?

gj

Old 10-07-01, 11:06 AM
Visiting Guest
hI gj:
There's an outlet on the opposite wall.To the right of this outlet,facing the wall where I need the new connection,there's a sliding door that goes to the patio.To the left,another door that goes to the kitchen with a wall switch.Exactly in the middle of this room the ceiling box is located.I think that the ceiling box is more viable since it is located in the exact place (middle of the room) where I want to install the new power outlet.How I can go about running the cable from this box? Any connection advise will be apreciated.

Thanks.