existing wiring

Old 10-05-01, 01:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I replaced an outlet in my sisters kitchen and the outlet stopped working completely and the rest of them, the top half of each outlet quit working. The kitchen was the only room effected. We checked the fuses in the box and they were all okay. Short of rewiring the whole house we can't figure it out.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-01, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question why did you replace?

Why did you replace the receptacle?
I have an idea as to what the problem could be, but I would like to know more information first.
Do you have fuses or circuit breakers?
(circuit breakers are like switches)
How many wires were there connectiong directly to the receptacle? How many of each color?
Is there a GFCI on the circuit somewhere, there are multiple reasons it would trip?
Do you still have the old recep.?
If you do, look at the sides, between the two screws on each side there is a tab. Is the tab removed on either side?
(Brass or silver)

gj

Old 10-06-01, 09:33 AM
Visiting Guest
The receptacle was not working. When the new one was put in it worked for about 5min. no I don't have the old one and yes the box has fuses. No gfci's are in any oulet in the house.

Old 10-06-01, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you still have the old receptacle to look at (I hope so)? Do you understand the purpose of the break-out tabs on the side of a receptacle? Were any of these receptacles controlled or partially controlled by a wall switch? Since these receptacles are in a kitchen, it's also likely that they are split-wired to two circuits.

These hints may point you in the right direction. If not, please provide more information.