One Switch two lights

Old 10-06-01, 02:18 PM
laffeyku
Visiting Guest
I have just installed a second light to an existing switch.
both lights come on, but only the original lght turns off with the switch. I currently have a black and white wire that comes from the electrical box and a black and white wire that comes from the switch. The black wire from the switch currently is connected to the black wire from the electrical box and the white wires from both the electrical box and the switch are connected to the light on opposite sides of the light. My thought was that I could connect the black wire of the New Light to the existing black wires and connect the white wire of the new light to the original light by connecting it to the second screw on the side going to the switch. Apparently I was wrong.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-01, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have two problems. The previous wiring was wrong, and you wired the new light wrong too. But the previous error fooled you into the new error.

Here's the key difference: According to code, the black wire from the electrical box must connect to the white wire from the switch.

Then the black wire from the switch connects to the black wire from the light, and the white wire from the electrical box connects to the white wire from the light.

If it had been wired this way in the first place, it would have been more obvious to you what you should do. Looking back on it, it's easy to see that the second light must be connected to exactly the same thing the first light is connected to (which is not what you have now).

So just connect the black and white of the cable to the second light to the same things that the black and white of the first light are connected to.

Old 10-06-01, 05:03 PM
laffeyku
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up One Switch two lights

John,
Thanks!! I wired it as you stated and it works perfectly!

You the man