Frying Door Bell Transformers

Old 10-09-01, 12:46 PM
Simple system, one button, one chime (ding-dong), and one transformer. However, it does not work. Replaced button, no help. Replaced transformer, and it worked when I left for a long fishing trip.

Came home and doorbell did not work, no voltage at low voltage side of transformer. Replaced transformer with a 16V transformer today, and everything worked great. Left to go pack fishing gear, and wife came home and I told her to ring doorbell. She did, NO DING-DONG. Worked fine for me several hours earlier, but have no voltage out of low side of transformer. No circuit breakers tripped, and other electrical on same circuit works great.

So now, when I am trying to go fishing until Dec., the door bell does not work again. Obviously short circuiting across button is no help, since there is no voltage out of transformer. Since I suspect I will "fry" the next transformer I install, does anyone have a lead for me?

I could always install a new transformer, have my wife push the button one time, BINGO - DING - DONG! and I am off to the Lake for several weeks of great fishing. But I'd rather be honest about it, if I can fix it in the next 44.5 hours.

If not, it only takes a second to print an "Out-of-Order" sign for the button, as I am on the way to the truck.

Seriously, can anyone shed some light on this doorbell problem? John Bridge, where are you when I need you?? You too, Old Guy!!

Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-01, 01:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Rick,
I would look for whatever is killing the x-formers here, you'd need to meter out the lines going to both button & chime(s).
On the other hand, being that I am an electrician, i'd get one of those 'plug-in' wireless doorchimes with the peel & stick button. Then i'd beat feet to the fishin' hole

Old 10-09-01, 05:29 PM
Cool

Rick,
On doorbells:
Bein's as how I hate to answer doorbells, and choose not to have a doorbell, and have never had a doorbell, and have never worked on a doorbell, and don't want a doorbell, and intend to make it through the rest of my life without a doorbell...I can't be of any help (which was a dubious thought to begin with, but thank you anyway).
Sorry.
I personally use an indoor German Shepherd that responds rabidly to rapping upon any one of my doors...backed up with a small arsenal.
A large, loud mad-sounding dog discourages unwanted guests (bible thumpers, door-to-door salesmen, ragheads, etc.).
I pet the dog, peep to see who it is, and I just don't answer the door unless I want to.
Whenever anything goes wrong with my in-lieu-of-a-doorbell system, I take it to the vet.
I agree with wirenuts...beat feet to the fishin' hole. To hell with a bell.
Knock. Knock.
Who's there?
Nobody, but your doorbell doesn't work.
Get the idea?
If it has died that many times, it must be God's will.
Where's the bait?
LOL

Old 10-09-01, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys, that is about all the extra encouragement I needed to head to the lake. Mike, I have a Lab, but she don't hear so good anymore, especially if people just push a non-working button (you'd be surprised how many people push a button that is hanging out of the wall by two wires, but won't knock on the door). If they knock, they are at the dog's mercy. I was going to put an "Out of Order" sign on the doorbell, but decided if they were not smart enough to realize this, after seeing the exposed wires, I did not need to talk to them anyway.

10-4 on the arsenal. My wife wants to know if I have more rods than guns!? Who cares, they all have a purpose!!

To WireNuts, if I knew what was killing the xformers, I'd just fix it. Can't find a short between the button, xformer and chime. NO changes to anything in the system for the last 15 years (except as previously stated), so where do I look?

I will buy a battery operated wireless tomorrow, since Mom says the dog is going to the lake with me (for health reasons). I wanted to argue that, but, when you've made the sale, quit sellin'!, right Mike??

Thanks for everyone's response, altho I still have the problem, I am still GONE FISHIN'!!

Rick

Old 10-09-01, 11:18 PM
Visiting Guest
To WireNuts, if I knew what was killing the xformers, I'd just fix it. Can't find a short between the button, xformer and chime. NO changes to anything in the system for the last 15 years (except as previously stated), so where do I look?

the only thing that comes to mind on the secondary side is an itermmintent short, something that would keep the x-former ON for extended periods of time, thus burning it out. On the primary 120V , it would have to be subject to bad voltage, which assumably would be noticed in other places thru the house.