Junction Boxes/Joining wires

Old 10-10-01, 01:40 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm wiring an office and have the following issue.

I have one supply line from the breaker box to a junction box in the ceiling. From there I am running two separate lines to outlets and two lines to two light switches.

The way I have it wired now, I have to join 5 wires to accomplish this. Is there a better way to join the wires than 5 wires in a wire nut?

I had in mind a "terminal block" arrangement, with the supply wire coming in and wiring the 4 other wires from terminals off the box.

What's the best way. Most of the electrical outlets will be unused at any particular point. I will be running 4 recessed lights and one ceiling fan w/light most of the time.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-01, 06:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Nothing wrong with 5 wires in a wirenut. Providing the wirenut is UL listed for the quantity and gauge of the wires it will hold. They're color-coded, with the blue and grey sizes designed for larger wire or greater quantities of wire.

Nothing wrong with a terminal block, either. As long as it is listed for the amperage and wire gauge you are using with it. Terminal blocks make for a very neat installation, but may be over-kill for only 5 wires.

Hope that helps.

Juice