Elect Panel Hum!

Old 10-11-01, 11:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Noticed the other morning my panel was slightly vibrating or humming. I opened the door, put my hand on the breaker access cover and seemed to be most noticable in the middle (from top to bottom) at both the edges.
I took the cover off and it was right where the 3/0 main feeders were running inside up to the line side of the main breaker.
Never noticed this before or since. It's a 200 amp service

Any comments, issues, problems with this?

Old 10-11-01, 03:22 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I suspect that you either have a loose connection, bad main breaker, or an overloaded panel.

Feel of the main breaker and also the other breakers for excess heat. If a breaker feels hot then check the load on that breaker or for a loose connection.

If the main breaker feels hot try the following;

Look to see if you see heating or bubbling of the insulation on the feeders where they connect to the main breaker. If no damage due to heat is present then move the main feeders very carefully back and forth and see if the wire moves in the lugs of that breaker. If it moves call the power company and shut off the power and retighten all the connection from the main lugs of the main breaker to and including the lugs within the power company's meterbase. If the wire doesn't move then try the next suggestion.

Go to the following link and follow the directions of calculating a demand load of your home. See if your overloading your panel considering the minimum demand load calculation answer you come up with from that linked site.

Try
If you notice the breaker humming start turning off one smaller breaker at a time and see if the humming reduces a lot from one certain breaker.

Try
Shutting off the humming breaker and turning it back on. If the hum stops replace that breaker.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 10-12-01, 10:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Wait for the power co. to pull the meter before working on the main feed! You still there ? hehe;-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: