GFCI

Old 10-11-01, 01:15 PM
swcret
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a GFCI outlet that all of a sudden started tripping. What i mean by this is that a refrigerator has been plugged into to this outlet for over 2 years and now it seems that every other time when the refrigerator kicks on it trips the outlet. i have had the refrigerator checked to make sure that the compressor wasn't going bad and pulling too many amps. that's okay because under load the compressor was only pulling 1.5 to 1.75 amps. i have changed out the outlet with a new GFCI and it is still doing it. could you please tell me what else could be causing this problem? there are no other appliance plugged into the outlet.
Thank you for your assistance.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-01, 05:01 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
hermatic motors such as compressors of refrigerators have a history of having a minor leakage to ground with the compressor working fine. Any leakage to ground will cause a GFI to trip.

I strongly suggest that you never run a refrigerator or freezer on a GFI. GFIs trip even if lightening srikes a 100 acre field in the back yard. If a GFI trips you stand a good chance that you will loose the food in your freezer etc.

I would run a single circuit to that refrig. You should be fine then.

Wg