Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

I want to install a hookup for a 220 volt electric dryer. Need to find out if it's po

I want to install a hookup for a 220 volt electric dryer. Need to find out if it's po

Old 10-13-01, 10:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi there,

I want to install a hookup for a 220 volt electric dryer. Need to find out if it's possible.

On my circuit breaker box there is a double 40 amp for the stove, and then a double 30 amp for the "fire place" in my apt. There is no "fireplace". However, I found a hook up for an outlet that appears to have 4 wires. There is no socket here just a cover and covered wires inside. Turning on and off the 30 amp circuit has no effect on any lights or appliances.

Can I install a socket for a 30 amp cord for my 220 volt electric dryer and hook them up to these wires? How do a make sure the power is completely off?? (all circuits on off I assume) If this is a 30 amp hookup for a dryer, is it dangerous to run the dryer and oven at the same time?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-01, 03:02 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you have a separate 40 amp circuit serving your stove and you have a separate 30 amp circuit serving what you want to be a dryer then the oven of the stove and the dryer can run at the same time as long as your main sevice carrying those two circuits are large enough to serve both appliances and the rest of the apartment.

If this 30 amp protected circuit contains wires that are sized a minimum of 10 awg or larger and if that 30 amp branch circuit contains an insulated red, black, white and bare or green and if that is the only thing on that circuit then you can install a 4 prong dryer receptacle on that circuit and install a 4 wire pigtail to your dryer making sure that the center grounded screw inside the dryer is not in contact with the metal frame of that dryer such as a grounding jumper tying that center screw and that metal frame together as one entity. Ensure that no contact with that center neutral screw is with the metal frame and connect the green conductor in the 4 wire pigtail connected to that dryer is connected to the metal frame instead.

Sounds like you have a plan.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 10-14-01, 03:26 AM
Exclamation Check the wire gauge first.

Before attempting to use this circuit for a dryer you should check that the wire gauge is #10 American Wire Gauge or larger. With the thirty ampere breaker off test each wire with a solenoid tester to make sure the power is off. Try the tester in a known live outlet before using it to check this circuit. Check the gauge of the wire by attempting to insert the wire ends through the stripping notches of a wire stripper that is marked with the gauge of the notches. If the wire is copper and it's end will not go through the notches marked 12 then the wire should be large enough. If there is any doubt then don't proceed.

There are some other concerns. Check the panel cover to see if the service voltage is marked in or on it. See that the service voltage matches the voltage marked on the appliance label. If the appliance is labeled 240/120 and not marked with a second set of voltages like 208/120 it is not suitable to be operated on a 208/120 volt supply. If the panel is unmarked check with the building's owner or representative or call your power utility. If your power is individually metered the utility will be able to tell you the service voltage to your unit. If your electricity is included with your rent you will need to ask the owner or superintendent. The dryer receptacle will only fit safely in a double ganged box. A double ganged box has an opening in the front that is nearly four inches wide by three and one half inches high. If the box is only two inches wide it will not except a dryer outlet. You can install a large wiremold (tm) extension box over a single gang box to get the room you need.

Since the stove and fireplace circuit are served by two separate breakers there should be no hazard in running them both at the same time.

Old 10-14-01, 03:30 AM
Department of redundancy department.

Warren and I must have been writing replies at the same time. I hope we did not cause confusion.
--
Tom

Old 10-14-01, 01:46 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
horntd, you said pretty well what I said but you added in the concern about the fact he was a renter and not the owner of that building. I thought of advising him to get permission to perform this electrical work yet spaced it when I hit the submit button. That was one thing that should have been pointed out to him concerning liability. YOu covered what I forgot.

Keep up the good work

Wg