Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

junction box placement

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-24-01, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)  
I'm adding on to my home and am stumped on where to place the junction boxes for the light switches and receptacles.
i would appreciate help as far as how far apart they have to be,how high they have to be and how many do i need in a room with a 20'x20' dimension.

Sponsored Links

10-24-01, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Light switches, one by each door (on the side where the doorknob is. Top of box about 48" off the floor.

Receptacles, one within 6 feet of the edge of either side of a door, and no more than 12 feet apart after that. A 20x20 room has an 80-foot perimeter. That requires a minimum of seven receptacles. I'd probably put in eight, two on each wall, about five feet from both sides of each corner.

Receptacle height about 18" from the top of the box to the floor.

Adjust switch and receptacle heights somewhat to match your preferences (measure some in your friend's home, and match the ones you like).

Visiting Guest

10-24-01, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Wgoodrich
JOhn is taking your question about junction boxes to be receptacle or switch boxes containing those devices.

If you are actually talking of junctions boxes. Most houses can be wired without installing even the first junction box. Any junction box must be accessible and must not be buried inside or under anything.

When you are wiring a dwelling most people use the double, triple and four gang switch boxes to make a wye splitting off in two different directions using the same branch circuit instead of using junction boxes for that purpose.

Often times you can run a second power out of a single receptacle box if that box is deep enough such as 2 1/2" deep.

Hope this helps

Wg

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-25-01, 04:19 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Setting switch outlet boxes at 48" has been a "convention" for many years. It's my opinion that this dimension is impractical today beacuse it sets the box in the sheetrock joints.I prefer 42" for switch outlets and 16"/center for receptacle outlets.If you's using single-gang platic boxes for the receptacle outlets you can make a jig for setting the boxes with a 2x4.

10-25-01, 04:38 AM   #5 (permalink)  
I find it easier to cut out around the electrical box when it lies at the joint in the drywall. But it does make the drywall taping a bit trickier. But nothing a good drywaller cannot easily handle.

So I prefer to put the switch where you want it, and let the drywaller deal with it.

Search this Thread