Broken light bulb stuck in light fixture

Old 10-29-01, 06:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a light bulb that is stuck in the light socket of our ceiling fan. When I turned it on the whole bulb popped out leaving the metal part behind. Any ideas on how to remove the metal part so I can put a new bulb in?

Thanks!

Kzlemons

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-01, 07:16 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes. First, kill the breaker to this circuit. Sometimes it will come out by sticking a pair of linemen's pliers into the metal base and applying outward pressure while turning. If this doesn't budge the durn thing take a pair of small needle-nose pliers, grip one edge of the bulb base and twist counter-clockwise. The base will begin to deform inward, which should loosen it up and cause the whole base to start turning. Hope that helps.

Juice

Old 10-29-01, 09:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Juice! I was able to get the bulb out and put in a new one. I have now discovered that the light, fan and an outlet do not work. Other lights and outlets on the same circuit do work and the switch on the breaker did not go off with the initial problem. Did I cause some major damage when the bulb popped off??? Would this be something my husband might be able to take care of or do we need an electrician? My husband is not excessively handy around the house, but can do basic stuff - especially if he's got instructions.

Thanks for your help.

Kristin

Old 10-29-01, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kristin, it's possible that a GFCI receptacle is protecting this fan. I would look everywhere in and out of your house for GFCI receptacles, and press the reset buttons on all of them.