3-way short?

Old 10-29-01, 04:37 PM
Visiting Guest
I just wired a three way switch for a light. There is a receptacle that is always hot at the end of the run. When I check the voltage at the light I still see a small amount of voltage at the light with the switch off. I don't know how much, just enough to cause the neon voltage tester to barely flicker. All the grounds were good. Is it normal to have a small amount of voltage at the light even with the switch off? I tried a new switch and got the same result. Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-01, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are talking about seeing voltage on a floating conductor, that is, one that is temporarily not connected at either end, but is one of the conductors in a cable, yes that is normal. It's caused by capacitive and inductive coupling in the cable and can sometimes be quite high. Connecting any kind of load will cause the voltage to collapse.

You can also read voltage to ground on a wire just laying on the floor. My voltmeter reads a few millivolts on nothing but the leads when I'm inside the house. Same principle.

Old 10-31-01, 03:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks. The voltage was enough to illuminate the neon bolb in my probe so it was more than just the small line voltage. I went back and bought two more three way switches. and the circuit cleared up. Seems that 3 out of 4 of the Leviton switches I bought the first time were bad. New switches, no problem