Reinstalling ceiling fan/light fixture ? wire colors

Old 11-01-01, 05:45 AM
Nancy Cammille
Visiting Guest
We are reinstalling a ceiling fan/light fixture which was removed by someone to repair a broken wire and never reinstalled. (The two broken ends were repaired with a wirenut). Coming out of the ceiling there are three wires, black, white and red. There is also a naked copper wire attached to the screw. Coming out of the top of the five foot pole from which the fan hangs there are two black wires, a white wire and a green wire. The one thing I forgot to check is the wall switch and I believe there is one for the fan and a separate one for the lights. How do we connect these four wires to the ceiling wires?

Also, I'd like to say I think you guys provide a wonderful service. You have all been very helpful in our very first restoration project. The house is looking great and we haven't sustained any injuries nor threatened to divorce each other. :-)

Nancy Cammille

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-01, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The two black wires are for the fan and the fan's light. Does one of these black wires have a white stripe on it? If so, that's for the light.

Connect one black wire to the black from the ceiling, and the other black wire to the red from the ceiling. Connect the fan's white wire to the white from the ceiling, and the fan's green wire to the "naked" copper wire (for heaven's sake, put some clothes on it).

If you don't like which switch controls which part of the fan, you can reverse these two black wire connections.