Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Lady needing help - Replacing Light switch -- now no power

Lady needing help - Replacing Light switch -- now no power

Old 11-01-01, 05:46 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Question

I have been swaping out switches to my light fixtures. I replaced a double set of lights switches (one goes to the entry light, one goes to the outside lights)... now I have no power to the outside lights. I did notice the ground wires just goes between the two switches.

I have tried another switch interruptor, I tried putting the old switch back, with no luck. I tested to see if the wires were hot.. and no luck. What did I do??

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-01, 11:38 PM
G
Visiting Guest
cookie128,
you must isolate the hot wire first. if there was a single pole switch in there, then a hot should be there also. are U sure you did not trip a breaker??

Old 11-02-01, 01:52 AM
G
Visiting Guest
I checked the breaker and nothing is tripped at the main box. Also, I just notice that several other outlets are not working either. So, it looks like I have tripped something.

I reset all of the breakers but no change. Any other suggestions?? Thank you.

Penny

Old 11-02-01, 02:48 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I seem to have a one-track mind, but did you check for a tripped GFCI?

Old 11-02-01, 04:00 AM
G
Visiting Guest
I do have some GFCIs, but none that I can find that are linked to these outlets. I am stumped.

I guess I am going to have to call for help. Thanks for trying. This is the first time to this site ... and it is wonderful.

Penny

Old 11-02-01, 04:20 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did you push all the reset buttons on the GFCI receptacles, just for fun (and to humor me)? Before you call for help, make another sweep of your house looking for GFCI receptacles. Look along every inch of every wall, both internal and external. Don't forget to look behind appliances and furniture. Look behind the storage in the garage and basement. Look outside on your porches, and along the entire perimeter of your home. Even look in closets.

You might also want to flip the breakers off and back on again, even if they don't look tripped.

Old 11-02-01, 06:37 AM
G
Visiting Guest
You mention ground wires at the switches. With a simple test-lamp socket with a 60 watt lamp test each wire to the ground wire to locate the "hot".Then connect the lamp socket between the "hot" wire and the wire to the O.D. fixture.If there's a complete circuit the test lamp will be is series with the lamp in the O.D. fixture and will glow.If not you may have a defective lamp in the OD fixture.Good Luck.

Old 11-02-01, 08:47 AM
G
Visiting Guest
John -- I think you might be right. I was up early looking behind every piece of furniture...and in the garage. So, tonight I am going home and go through each room.

One thought, I do have a hot tub in the backyard with a GFCI that I didn't check. It might be that one.

It's hard not having a man around the house... you are almost the bext best thing.

I will let you know what I find out.

Penny