wiring a ceiling fan

Old 11-02-01, 04:54 PM
G
Visiting Guest
I'm trying to install a ceiling fan. I removed the light fixture that was in the ceiling. This is how it was conected-there was a white and black wire in a casing, the white wire was conected to the fixture and the black wire had a wire nut on it. then there is another white wire, it's a separate wire, and it was also conected to the fixture.The white and black wires in the plastic casing are solid thick wires and the separate wire is like a lamp cord or whatever with several strands of wire. My ceiling fan has 4 wires and instructions say-if i want the fan and light to operate from the switch on the wall, twist the black and blue wires together and conect to the black wire from the ceiling-conect the white wire from the fan to the white wire in the ceiling and the green wire to the ground wire in the ceiling. which wire in the ceiling is the ground wire? why wasn't the black and white wires from the same casing conected to the original light fixture? I'm confused!!! Please help me. Thanks! Deb

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-01, 06:01 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your situation is very odd.

First, it seems clear that you have no grounding wire in the ceiling. So you can just connect the fan's green wire to the mounting bracket.

Are the wires on the old fixture different colors? What are the colors? You left this detail out.

The wiring you have would not meet current code, and does not even match any common conventions. You may need a voltmeter to figure out which of those two white wires is the hot and which is the neutral (test each for voltage against the metal box). You can also perform various tests on the black wire to see if you can figure out what it is. Looking at the wires in the switch box may give you a lot of very important clues.

Post back with any further information you can uncover, and we'll see if we can help sort out this rat's nest.

Old 11-03-01, 03:07 AM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I agree with John, your color scheme in that box serving that fixture doesn't fit the norm. You might try the following link that shows wiring drawings concerning different types of fan hook up installation. Let us know if any of these drawings shed light on the subject to help you.

http://homewiring.tripod.com/fanlight.html

Good luck

Wg