Open Ground?

Old 11-04-01, 08:13 AM
D
deznutzzz2000
Visiting Guest
Talking

I used a receptacle tester on a 110 outlet, that I wired from a 120 power supply. The tester shows a open ground, is there any reason for concern, or is this acceptable? And how do I fix this? When I ground out a voltmeter on the hot or neutral I get 40 to 60 volts. When I touch the voltmeter to the hot and neutral I get 120volts. Need some help, I don't want to burn any thing up.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-01, 01:41 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Is this a three prong receptacle? Look inside the receptacle box and see if you have a black white and bare wire in that box connected to that receptacle. Is this an older home. Is there two prong receptacles in the home?

Need this info to try and help you

Wg

Old 11-04-01, 02:03 PM
D
deznutzzz2000
Visiting Guest
open ground

It has a black, white ,and red wire, The red wire is attached to the iside of the box, so I'm assuming it is the ground, andit is firmly attached. It is a 3-prong recetacle. Black to brass, White to silver, and red to ground right. I hope u can help me?

Old 11-04-01, 02:29 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I received an email from this post which said about what is said here but a bit more. I transferred a copy to this reply of my reply;

I WROTE;

Warning!

A red wire is a hot wire not an equipment grounding wire. You may be energizing all non current carrying metal parts in you house creating a life safety issue. Call an electrician who is qualified ASAP! Turn the branch circuit breaker off until this red wire is identified as to where it goes.

Also a metal box nailed to a wood stud has no path to earth. You are mistaken in believing that you have a definite grounding path if connected to a metal box. This is true only if you have a nonbroken approved grounding conductor or metal conduit connecting that box to the panels grounding bar. Remember that flex is not an approved grounding conductor.

This red wire connected to your green screw of this receptacle tells me you have had a nontrained electrician working in your home. I strongly advise you to have an electrician that can prove that he has passed an electrical test issued by a governmental agency proving he knows what he is doing. Remember electricity kills and burns down houses without warning.

Please be alarmed at what you discribed and get a pro to inspect this house thoroughly.

Wg

Old 11-04-01, 02:41 PM
D
deznutzzz2000
Visiting Guest
open ground

My bad, I may have misled a bit, the red wire is part of the extension outlet, i'm trying to create. The red wire is the new ground(it is connected to a green wire. The three conducter cable I was using only had red, black, and white wires. So I assumed to connect the most like colors. I know for a fact the i'm getting no voltage out of the red wire. So now I hope that clarifies ground wire. The box is not on a wooden pole either. I can assure u it is well grounded