meter connections

Old 11-05-01, 04:19 AM
G
Visiting Guest
Question

I am building a garage and would like to have 220v in the garage and wondered what materials are needed to make the connection at the meter. Will i need to install another box with more connections to combine the garage and the cable going to the service in the house?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-01, 07:03 AM
G
Visiting Guest
It's probably more accurate to discuss a "connection at the service" because there's no reason to involve the utility meter.IF you have a circuit-breaker service-panel with spare for additional breakers all you need is a 2-pole CB with a rating compatible with the gauge of the feeder conductors to the garage.Please determine the "make" of the panel (G.E.,Square D etc) and if there appears to be space for inserting another breaker. Is the meter inside or outside and is what/where is the Main Disconnect, We'll await you reply.

Old 11-05-01, 08:09 AM
G
Visiting Guest
Thanks.I appreciate the help. I do not have anymore room for breakers in the panel. The meter is on the outside and is a single opening and i beleve Home Depot sells them. Is there a box i can install below the meter and go from there to the garage?