Wiring for three garage door openers

Old 11-05-01, 06:44 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We need to install wiring for three garage door openers.

There's an existing exposed outlet wire going in to the garage, and the outlet has a GFCI on it. I think the circuit is 15 amps, but I haven't checked it. The openers are rated for 5 amps each, I think. We rarely use the existing outlet Should I pull a separate circuit (or circuits) for these openers, or can I use the existing circuit? (Not easy to pull a new wire to the detached garage).

How can I find out about local electrical code for garage door wiring? I'd like to just put in outlets rather than hard wiring.

If we do wire three new outlets on the existing circuit, how should I arrange the wiring; can I string one wire to the first, then to the second, then to the third box, or should I pull three wires back to a junction box? If I do three pull wires back to a junction box, what's the best way to make a reliable connection - seems like trying to squeeze five wires into a connector won't be a very good
connection.

Thanks!

Old 11-05-01, 09:39 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't overload the circuit, not primarily for code reasons but also so frequent breaker trips don't annoy you. First change all those guesses (e.g., 15-amp circuit, 5-amp motors, ...) you listed into your post into hard facts. Then make sure you know everything that's on that circuit -- there may be more receptacles on this circuit.

Go ahead and install 3 receptacles in your garage ceiling. This is the normal solution. No need to pull a separate wires for the three receptacles. You can daisy-chain the cabling. Code doesn't even require GFCI protection here.

The main catch comes in the fact that if you need another circuit, you'll also need a subpanel in the garage. Code doesn't allow you to run two circuits to a detached building off the main panel.

Only you can guess the likelihood of you using all three openers at the same time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: