2-Circuits in same outlet J-Box

Old 11-06-01, 06:32 AM
G
Visiting Guest
I remember this subject discussed a few weeks ago but don't remember the answer.
I have 1- 12/3 coming from the attic into the top of a 4" square plastic outlet box. I want to power-up 1 duplex outlet with the "red wire" circuit and the other duplex outlet with the "black wire" circuit with common nuetral and ground. Then I want to come out of the bottom of the box with the 2 circuits and service additional devices.

This is actually existing from a previous Washer/Gas Dryer set-up, washer on one circuit, dryer on the other.

Is this OK by the code?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-01, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes this is probably OK. At the panel, these two circuits should go to different breakers. The panel has 2 hot buses.
The breakers should be on atop the other, one snapped into hot bus 1 and the other into hot bus 2. The handles of these breakers should then be connected (by a clip or a bar made for the purpose) so that when one trips, they both trip. This is so the next guy who goes into the j-box doesn't turn off one breaker and think there's no power there.

Remember, there will be 220V when measuring between the black and the red. The black/white will have 120V and the red/white will have 120V

Old 11-06-01, 08:03 AM
N
Nick68
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by abNORMal
The handles of these breakers should then be connected (by a clip or a bar made for the purpose) so that when one trips, they both trip. This is so the next guy who goes into the j-box doesn't turn off one breaker and think there's no power there.

Handle ties are only required when the two circuits feed receptacles on the same yoke. 210-4(b)