wire

Old 11-08-01, 08:04 AM
G
Visiting Guest
Talking

The wire coming into the main breaker box from the meter which is a aluminmum ground is spliced to a copper wire which goes to the grounding in the main breaker box. I noticed that there wasn't any oxiding material on the wires.If I recall you have to use some kind of oxiding material on the wires to stop them from oxiding and coming apart.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-01, 08:55 AM
G
Visiting Guest
You should'nt have any splices AT ALL in the service panel.All conductors should terminate on a lug or wire terminal.If you'r refering to the Grounded system conductor (Neutral) from the meter there's a terminal in the panel for this connection which is part of the Neutral terminal strip.All grounded/grounding wire should terminate on this terminal bar without a splice.Yes, all aluminum pressure connections require a coating to prevent corrosion.

Old 11-08-01, 10:11 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You shouldn't have aluminum wire to spliced to copper wire unless the splicing device is listed/rated as such.

Old 11-09-01, 02:36 AM
G
Visiting Guest
Talking wire

Originally posted by switchman
You should'nt have any splices AT ALL in the service panel.All conductors should terminate on a lug or wire terminal.If you'r refering to the Grounded system conductor (Neutral) from the meter there's a terminal in the panel for this connection which is part of the Neutral terminal strip.All grounded/grounding wire should terminate on this terminal bar without a splice.Yes, all aluminum pressure connections require a coating to prevent corrosion.
Thank you for the information. But I have a problem the ground wire in my panel is spliced to copper wire that goes to a lug. What can I do?

Old 11-09-01, 10:27 AM
G
Visiting Guest
If this is one of the 3 service-conductors then it's the Neutral and the GROUNDED system conductor which is always White if it's an insulated service conductor or bare if the wiring method is Service Entrance Cable.If you have 200 amp SEC you'll have #0000 Aluminum which is not easy to work because of the diameter/stiffness.If this is the conductor that is spliced you should consider re-placing the cable between the meter and the panel becaue the splice is a "weak link" to all the wires that conduct current inside the house. Rule-of-Thumb-"If it's not there it can't fail".Please report back and Good Luck.