Bathroom Medicine Cabinet Wiring

Old 11-10-01, 05:10 AM
G
Visiting Guest
Hi! I am trying to install a new medicine cabinet in my bathroom. The problem is, the new cabinet is much larger than the old one. The problem arises with the wiring of the outlet. The old outlet box is 5" lower than where I need it. What is the easiest way to wire the new outlet box. The location doesn't need to change it just needs to be higher. This maybe a really simple question, but I need the advice. Thank you. Fiona

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-01, 05:52 AM
G
Visiting Guest
What type of "outlet"-receptacle or liting?-and where is it located relative to the MC-top or bottom ? Can you indentify the type of the existing box and the # of wires/cables in the box? We'll await you reply.

Old 11-10-01, 05:58 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A lot depends on what direction the cable comes from as it approaches the outlet. If you are moving it such that the cable will still reach (try really hard to do this), then this project is trivial. Simply remove the box from where it is. It's usually nailed to a stud, so just pull out the nails. You may or may not need to damage any drywall or plaster to do this. Then install the box in a new location. You many not even need to remove the receptacle from the box to do this. Depending on the new location and the amount of wall modifications you are already doing to install the new cabinet, you may do better with an "old work" electrical box. The "old work" electrical box is not nailed to a stud.

Any good book on home wiring should have enough pictures and explanations to allow you to see what I'm talking about. You should also visit your local Home Depot and ask to look at an "old work" electrical box. Or visit http://www.homedepot.com/ and search for SKU# 141206.